Five women and five men, all seniors at West Virginia University, will compete for the titles of Mr. and Ms. Mountaineer, annual honors bestowed upon two outstanding student leaders during Mountaineer Week. The titles will be announced during halftime of the Nov. 17 WVU -Temple game. Kickoff for that contest is set for 1 p.m.
Ms. Mountaineer Candidates:
- Jamie Lee Burchianti is the daughter of Valerie and Ralph Burchianti of Greensboro, Pa. She is sponsored by West Virginia Music Teachers National Association, Student Chapter. Burchianti is active in Delta Pi Sigma Spanish Honorary and co-chairs the Study Abroad Committee. She is an international studies, Spanish and economics major.
- Kimberly Fike is the daughter of B.J. and Deborah Fike of Aurora. She is a member of the WVU Marketing Club and on the National Deans List. Fike is a marketing major, and is sponsored by Delta Sigma Pi.
- Jana Matish is the daughter of Peggy and Jim Matish of Bridgeport. She received the 2000 Outstanding Greek Woman Award and is past-president of Chi Omega Sorority. Matish is sponsored by Chi Omega.
- Nasira Roidad is the daughter of Mohammad and Jehan Roidad of Fairmont. Roidad is a biology major and is the president of Alpha Epsilon Delta and chairperson of the WVU Student Government Association Elections Committee. She is sponsored by Alpha Epsilon Delta.
- Trista Wierman is the daughter of Drew and Patty Wierman of Hollidaysburg, Pa. She is a member of the Mountaineer Marching Band and the American Pharmaceutical Association-Academy of Students of Pharmacy. Wierman is sponsored by Academy of Students of Pharmacy and Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity.
Mr. Mountaineer Candidates:
- Darrick Blankenship is the son of Delmer and Shirley Blankenship of Baisden. He is the president of the occupational therapy class of 2002. He earned a bachelors degree in exercise and human performance and health, cum laude. Blankenship is sponsored by the WVU Occupational Therapy Department.
- Christopher T. Ferro is the son of Mike and Roseann Ferro of McMechen. He is president of the Student Government Association, a member of the Student Board of Governors and co-chair of the Student Safety Task Force. This psychology major is sponsored by Phi Sigma Kappa.
- James Grantham is the son of James Amon and Peggy Givens Grantham of Kearneysville. He is the president of the WVU Collegiate 4-H Club and a WVU Presidential Scholar Award recipient. Grantham is sponsored by WVU Collegiate 4-H.
- Joseph Lanzy is the son of Al and Mary Jo Lanzy of Bridgeport. Lanzy is the captain of the Blue Cheerleading Squad and a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. He is sponsored by PRSSA .
- Anthony V. Scardina is the son of Marion and Linda Scardina of Scottdale, Pa. He is the president of the WVU Society of American Foresters and treasurer of the WVU Davis College Student Council. Scardina is sponsored by Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity and WVU Society of American Foresters.
Mr. and Ms. Mountaineer candidates are nominated by either a student organization or a dean or director. They must also complete an application and a 600-word essay on what being a Mountaineer means to them. They are interviewed by two separate panels who choose both the finalists and the winners.