A West Virginia University student from Lyndhurst, N.J., credits his mother for instilling in him discipline, responsibility and dedication to academic success.

Joshua Oed, son of Lyndhurst resident Kathleen Oed, has won this years Mountaineer Parents Essay Contest held in conjunction with annual Fall Family Weekend activities on campus.

Joshua and his mother will be recognized during halftime of Saturdays WVU -Kent State football game at Mountaineer Field. As part of the honor of being the 2001 Mountaineer Parent, his mother received tickets to sit in WVU President David C. Hardesty Jr.s field box during the game, two nights lodging at Hampton Inn, a Fall Family Weekend tailgating pass and a commemorative Mountaineer statue.

In his essay, Joshua described his mothers hard work as a registered nurse and her determination to pay for his private school tuition. He also recalled her insistence that he learn to play a musical instrument.

“I chose the violin and quickly despised it, but quitting was not an option,”he wrote.”She insisted on daily practice and by the age of 12, I had performed in Carnegie Hall. She told me Id thank her when I was 25. I thanked her at the age of 18 after receiving a partial music scholarship to WVU endowed by President Hardesty and his wife Susan.”

In addition to working toward a double major in accounting and management information systems, Joshua is a member of the WVU Symphony Orchestra and will complete a minor in violin performance before he graduates in May 2002. He is also a member of Mortar Board senior honorary.

“Raising a child as a single parent is never easy. I will be forever grateful to my mother for all that shes done for me. Everything I have I owe to her, and someday Ill pay her back,”Joshua concluded.

More than 1,200 parents are expected to attend Fall Family Weekend events, which range from concerts, class visits, picnics and tailgatesto Parents Club meetings and Fridays 2 p.m. grand opening of WVU s new Student Recreation Center. The ceremony features world-class climber Peter Hillary planting a flag at the Centers climbing wall and also conducting a meet and greet later in the day.