West Virginia University will welcome over 1,200 parents to campus Sept. 21-23 for the annual Fall Family Weekend celebration. Parents will spend time with their sons and daughters, learn about their academic curriculum and enjoy some world-class entertainment.
The dedication and grand opening of the new WVU student recreation center on Friday, Sept. 21, and the first ever Black Alumni Weekend events are just some of the highlights.
“This is an event planned especially for WVU families, and it offers something for everyone,”said WVU President David C. Hardesty, Jr.”During Fall Family Weekend, families can choose to cheer on the Mountaineer football team (kickoff is 1 p.m.) as they battle Kent State, tour our new Student Rec Center, attend performances by Shawn Colvin and George Benson, or enjoy a family picnic in the Mountainlair.”
Parents arriving on Friday can learn more about their students academic activities by attending their classes throughout the dayprovided there has been prior arrangements with instructors.
On Saturday, parents and their students can enjoy a Family Tailgate from 11 a.m.1 p.m. in Tent City III before the WVU -Kent State game. This year, part of the student section in the northeast end-zone of Mountaineer Field has been designated as a special seating area for WVU parents and family members.
The winner of this years Mountaineer Parents Essay contest also will be announced at halftime, and a special ceremony on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Erickson Alumni Center will include the presentation of official class rings to students (who placed orders in the spring) from President and Mrs. Hardesty.
Class rings can only be ordered by alumni and students who have achieved at least a junior status. The ArtCarved rings will be on sale throughout Fall Family Weekend. Rings will be sold from 3-9 p.m. Friday in the Mountainlair; from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday at the WVU Bookstore; and from 8:30 a.m.-noon Sunday at the WVU Bookstore. Rings also will be on sale the following week, Sept. 24-26, in the Mountainlair from 10 a.m.4 p.m. each day, in addition to sales at other campus locations.
While families spending time together is the most important aspect of this weekend, the many events going on make this a particularly good time for parents to visit the WVU campus, Hardesty said.
Here are some of the highlights:
On Friday, Sept. 21:
- A 12 :30 p.m. golf scramble at Mountainview Golf Course sponsored by the Mountaineer Council student organization
- A 2 p.m. Dedication Ceremony of the new Student Recreation Center
- A 3 -9 p.m. welcome reception in the Mountainlairs Vandalia Lounge
- A 5 -7 p.m. Mountaineer Family Pasta Picnic at Hatfields, featuring Italian food and live entertainment
- A 6 p.m. Black Alumni Weekend welcome reception in the Mountainlair
- Guided tours of the Student Recreation Center from 7-8 p.m.
- An 8:30 p.m. performance by Shawn Colvin in the Creative Arts Centers Concert Theatre
Saturday, Sept. 22:
- An 8 a.m. Black Alumni Weekend”Networking Breakfast”in the Mountainlair
- The Mountaineer Parents Club annual meeting from 9:3010:30 a.m. at Erickson Alumni Centers Durrett Hall
- An 11 a.m.1 p.m. Family Tailgate party in Tent City III s”Parent Pit”near Mountaineer Field
- An 11 a.m.1 p.m. Black Alumni Weekend Tailgate party at Tent City II near Mountaineer Field
- Mountaineers play Kent State at 1 p.m. at Mountaineer Field
- An”All-American”Post-Game Dinner Buffet immediately following the football game in the Milan Puskar Centers Thomas Room
- Open Houses and Information Sessions at all fraternity and sorority locations from 67:30 p.m.
- A 7 :30 p.m. Black Alumni Weekend reception and banquet at Erickson Alumni Center
- An 8:30 p.m. performance by George Benson in the Creative Arts Centers Concert Theatre
Sunday, Sept. 23:
- A 1 2 p.m. Ring Day Ceremony and reception in Erickson Alumni Centers Durrett Hall
In addition, popular WVUp All Night activities in the Mountainlair take place from 7 p.m.midnight on Thursday and from 7 p.m.- 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday. All WVUp All Night activities are free to WVU students and their families.
Parents Club members and club and state chairs who are interested in attending the Mountaineer Parents Club meeting should contact Sabrina Cave, 304-293-2506.
To pre-register for the weekends events, call the WVU Box Office at 304-293-7469. Each adult paying the $25 registration fee will receive special”gifts”and will be entitled to attend the Family Pasta Picnic and tour the new Student Recreation Center on Friday and attend the Family Tailgate on Saturday in Tent City III . Also their WVU students and children under 18 will be entitled to the Picnic and the Tailgate free of charge. Registration is optional.
For a detailed schedule, log on to:http://www.wvu.edu/ffw/