West Virginia University students who are veterans may be eligible for additional funding to help them pay college tuition.

Veterans whose funds have run out through the Montgomery GI Bill may be able to receive $500 a semester from the Veterans Re-Education Acts Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) program to finish their degrees, said Janet Trump, WVU financial aid counselor/veterans certifying official

The Montgomery Bill is an educational assistance program enacted by Congress more than 40 years ago to attract high quality men and women into the Armed Forces. The program is administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, and provides education and training opportunities to eligible persons.

VUB is a free, educational program for military veterans, funded by the U.S. Department of Education and housed at Davis&ElkinsCollege, said Gene Ochsendorf, program coordinator at the Elkins campus.

“The program assists veterans living in West Virginia to prepare for success in college and other post-high school education,”he said.

Calling it an”excellent program,”Ochsendorf encouraged veterans attending WVU to take advantage of the programs benefits �€”benefits they deserve.”

Currently, only nine WVU student veterans are signed up for the program, Trump said, but she thinks there may be more out there.

In addition to monetary assistance, veterans receive an individualized educational program that can include classes to improve basic academic skills, including reading, writing, math, science, foreign languages and computer literacy.

Veterans also receive tutoring, career counseling, assistance obtaining a GED and information and assistance on obtaining financial aid.

To qualify, veterans must:

  • have an honorable discharge

  • have served for more than 181 consecutive days of military service (reservists with active duty for training only are not eligible)

  • Pell Grant eligible, or be a federally displaced worker, or unemployed

  • be first-generation college students

  • meet income guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education.

  • be a West Virginia resident.

For more information on VUB , contact Trump, WVU Financial Aid, 304-293-5242, or Ochsendorf, 304-637-1322.