Barbara J. Howe, associate professor of history and interim director of the WVU Center for Womens Studies for the past two years, was recently named permanent director of the Center, Eberly College of Arts and Sciences Dean Duane Nellis announced.

“I am very grateful for the support so many people have given me as interim director and for their enthusiasm about my appointment as director,”Howe said.”I am especially looking forward to the opportunity to continue working with Dean Nellis, who has been so very supportive of women’s studies at WVU .”

Howe said the center staff is currently working on strengthening the graduate program and hopes to develop a women’s studies major for undergraduates. Currently, WVU offers a minor for undergraduate students and a certificate in women’s studies for graduate students.

Howe received her B.A. in history and her B.S. in education from the University of Cincinnati and her M.A. in history from the University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. After attaining a Ph.D. in American and English history from Temple University, she came to WVU in 1980 as a visiting assistant professor of history.

“Dr. Howe has provided solid leadership to our women’s studies program during the past two years and has moved the center forward on several important projects,”Nellis said.”I look forward to her continued leadership of the Center, and I am confident that she will continue to build relationships throughout the campus, the local community and the international higher education community.”

Under Howe’s leadership the center co-sponsored last spring a panel discussion featuring women reporters who covered the Vietnam Warthe first event funded through the Judith Gold Stitzel endowment.

The Center for Women’s Studies is a part of the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences.